Backup Meister: Release Notes
3.4.1 (14th March 2013)
- Copying times in the target are now associated to relative paths instead of absolute paths. That is, if the letter of an external drive changes, it is no longer required to recopy all the files.
3.4.0 (13th March 2013)
- When copying to a folder, Backup Meister now saves copy times to a structure at the side of the target path. This eliminates the dependency on time information from the file system. Using file system time information caused problems sometimes as some file systems support time zones while others do not. From now on, there should be no problems when switching between daylight saving time and "normal" time. This change will require all the files in each backup definition to be recopied.
- When there is a balloon tip, clicking it now shows the program window.
3.3.1 (24th June 2012)
- An error message is no longer shown if an automatic update check fails.
3.3.0 (9th December 2011)
- "Every day" and "every week" scheduling frequencies were combined so that it is now
possible to choose specific days of week. Other scheduling frequencies
remained unchanged. Due to this change, the backup definitions of 3.3.0 are incompatible
with older program versions. However, program version 3.3.0 supports version 3.1.0 and 3.2.0
- The way configuration files (backup definitions and settings) are saved on the hard
disk was changed. Now, there is always a backup file of the previous version. The change
minimizes the risk of losing configuration data.
- The backup definitions table in the backup definitions tab has now a context menu
that appears when a backup definition is right-clicked.
- If there are problems loading backup definitions from the hard disk, error messages
are now shown more clearly.
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the backup definitions tab show false information
- The program no longer remains hanging at shutdown if no response is
received while retrieving update information.
3.2.0 (11th November 2011)
- There is now a function to check for updates automatically.
- The backup definitions management view is now simpler than before. Scheduling settings are now set in a separate window.
- Added the "every month" scheduling option.
- Several minor improvements made to the GUI.
- All the windows scale now properly for the 150% setting on Windows 7.
- Unchecking the "show a balloon tip when an error occurs" setting works now.
3.1.0 (17th October 2011)
- The disk usages of backup definitions are now shown on the backup definitions tab. They
are refreshed automatically regularly.
- The algorithm to estimate UDF file system overhead in disc images was improved.
- The method to save backup definitions to hard disk was improved. In the future releases, it
is less likely that there are backup definition compatibility issues between different versions.
- Disk usage retrieval no longer gives zero to a path if some of its subfolders causes an error.
3.0.1 (3rd October 2011)
- Fixed a bug related to the "copy full directory structure" feature.
- If the installer was run using a separate administrator user account, the result was that if the
program was launched from the installer, the administrator was considered the runner. From now on, it is not
possible to run the program from the installer.
3.0.0 (30th September 2011)
- It is now possible to create disc images from files.
- It is now possible to receive a reminder instead of running scheduled copying.
- The user interface received several minor improvements.
- It is now possible to investigate copying errors in the error log.
- Several changes in the program structure and in algorithms were committed.
- Several minor bug fixes were applied.
188.8.131.52 (6th November 2010)
- Target path can now be set manually in case it cannot be found using the browse folders dialog.
- If scheduling is enabled and a backup set fails, there is now a delay of 15 minutes before the scheduler tries copying again.
- Fixed a bug related to the target folder selection when copying single files instead of folders.
- Updating read only files works now.
- Fixed a bug that prevented using custom scheduling intervals that were shorted than one hour.
184.108.40.206 (22nd October 2010)
- Fixed a bug that prevented some of logging information from appearing.
220.127.116.11 (21st October 2010)
- Fixed a bug that prevented a backup set from being loaded from the disk into the program under certain conditions.
18.104.22.168 (20th October 2010)
- The GUI is now scalable to higher object sizes (125% and 150% on Windows 7).
- Buttons and tabs received nice looking icons.
- Other minor improvements on GUI.
- The possibility to install the program using an EXE installer!
- Copying log entries are now added even if the program window has not been displayed when scheduled copying begins.
- Several minor bug fixes.
22.214.171.124 (5th April 2010)
- The layout of almost entire GUI was rebuilt. The GUI is now a tabbed view instead of separate windows.
- Error messages while copying are now shown as balloon tips (it is possible to disable this feature).
- It is now possible to disable file verification after copying (speeds up program execution).
- The progress of the backup set being copied is now visualized with a progress bar.
- When retrieving the disk usage of source paths, the GUI no longer freezes. Instead, a progress dialog is shown.
- The program no longer crashes randomly at Windows' shutdown.
- The system tray icon no longer remains "hanging" after the program has been closed.
126.96.36.199 (7th March 2010)
- Rebuilt and tested to run with Windows 7.
- Some minor fixes were made to dialog layouts.
188.8.131.52 (11th September 2009)
- The possibility to define a custom scheduling frequency.
- If the system tray icon is double-clicked, Main Window now pops up.
- The pause button on Progress Window cannot be pressed anymore if no copying is in progress.
- Attempt to fix random crashing when Backup Meister is running and Windows shuts down. There is no guarantee about results. Moreover, it remains unknown whether this is a Windows bug, a .NET bug or a Backup Meister bug.
184.108.40.206 (27th July 2009)